Addressing Childhood Trauma with Root-Cause TherapyJan 24, 2024
Addressing Childhood Trauma with Root-Cause Therapy
In this class, we will be going through how Root-Cause Therapy (RCT) can be an effective tool in helping heal childhood trauma.
If you are interested in the CERTIFICATION TRAINING click here - https://www.thecentreforhealing.com/webinar-registration
Host: Melissa Hiemann, Co-Founder of The Centre for Healing, creator of Root-Cause Therapy, Trauma-Informed Manifestation Coaching and the author of The Natural High - How to Overcome Instant Gratification and Find Inner Peace.
ADDRESSING TRAUMA WITH ROOT-CAUSE THERAPY
Childhood Trauma Statistics
Nearly 3 in 4 children - or 300 million children - aged 2–4 years regularly suffer physical punishment and/or psychological violence at the hands of parents and caregivers
One in 5 women and 1 in 13 men report having been sexually abused as a child aged 0-17 years.
A child who is abused is more likely to abuse others as an adult, so violence is passed down from one generation to the next. It is therefore critical to break this cycle of violence, and in so doing create positive multi-generational impacts. There is also a higher chance of children witnessing voilence growing up to enter into a voilent or abusive relationship
When children are growing up, they are getting a sense of the model of the world. The dynamics that occur in childhood create their filters and understandings to then interact with others as they grow older.
Their nervous systems, whether they feel safe or not, adjust in order to survive best. This lays the foundation for how people take information in and react.
They are learning machines, as we know, so as they grow, they are learning how to be.
90% of a child’s brain develops by the time they’re 5 years old - as per the government website, starting blocks, reference https://www.startingblocks.gov.au/other-resources/factsheets/brain-development-in-children
Normal stress, short bursts, where we can quickly or recover, or as children, be nurtured or co-regulated with... so that build safety and resilience for life experiences into adulthood. They are intact with self-love, positive self-talk and healthy coping mechanisms.
Toxic stress, such as trauma such as neglect, watching or experiencing violence, verbal or physical or sexual abuse, from in the womb to young teen... if is ongoing... will result in an adult who may unconsciously re-create and re-enact the relationships that they saw... or re-create the behaviours that kept them feeling safe or in survival mode.
HOW CAN ROOT-CAUSE THERAPY HELP?
One of my friends and mentors, Melonie once said to me "It's never too late to have a good childhood." & this is the true essence of the work we do as RCT Practitioners.
As practitioners, we are helping people heal in a few key ways.
1. Creating a safe space and relationship to share and feel emotions, heartaches, betrayals, hurts, guilts ... this is healing it itself as most trauma in relational trauma. This relationship is where they aren't judged or shamed for how they feel, what they went through, or how they cope as an adult. Its a kind of talk therapy that is all about revealing and discovery, rather than making assumptions about why they are feeling the way they feel or giving textbook reasons as to why
2. The structure of RCT sessions and how we move with clients from session to session is more structured, rather than going around in circles. The way that I teach is less repetition and intellectualising what happened to people in their younger years... and more resolution
3. We do that through prioritising and checking what needs to be worked on by prioritising symptoms or behaviours that are affecting their lives and energy to be reduced. We don't 'label' or prescribe rather we work with each symptom methodically
4. When we actually do the healing work, because the old learnings, stressors and trauma are often stuck in the body, we need to work a bit deeper than the conscious mind. We need to speak the language of the body.
5. Imagine your clients not having to re-live and re-enact their trauma or struggle with triggers in everyday life where they can feel safer in their bodies, safer with uncomfortable, more manageable emotions.
HOW RCT HELPS
In the processing and healing part of the therapy, we have a specific set of questions that helps the client access the 'root cause' of what we discover in the first half of the session.
The body and nervous system will remember why it first wired differently, and I've seen time and time again conducting sessions over the last eight years and for many of our graduated practitioners all over the world, that it often goes right to the first time that that neural pathway and stress response was created. It could be in the womb of the mother, it could be at birth or just after, and at any age through teens, etc.
And then, whatever the emotion was that has locked it in the amygdala as danger, fear, threat of survival, shame, etc, can start to be processed.
We have a specific way that we help the client to process the stress energy that has been trapped in that moment, the 'red flag' or marker on the DNA which is causing the phsyical and emotional issues can start to change through neuroplasticity.
Then, with the practitioner's guidance, they can start to heal the moment or moments that have caused the splitting of the self in that moment.
Being able to reparent and take the wisdom, collectively of the client, their intuition and the practitioner knowledge from the training and experience to change the information and assumption/belief about themselves and the world and instil different information.
We are going to have a very special offer being released in 48 hours, so if you are interested in the training, click here https://www.thecentreforhealing.com/webinar-registration, and we'll email you the special offer and surprise! Also, I want to add that if you work with children, we do have a working-with-children Protocol in Level 2, which is fairly inexpensive and can be added on at checkout.
ACCESS THE FREE INTRODUCTORY TRAINING HERE - https://www.thecentreforhealing.com/webinar-registration